Tamarind is a Twin Screw Motor Yacht ( T.S.M.Y. ) built in 1958 to the design of Fred R. Parker at the R.A. Newman and Sons Ltd ship yard in Poole, Dorset. This website aims to preserve the history of this mid 20th century British ship.
Tamarind was built for Dr. Donald Mclean McDonald (1905 – February 1991). Dr. D. M. McDonald, born in Fort William, Scotland and was founder and Chairman of the BSR Group, manufacturers of record turntables and record changers. He was a member of the Royal Motor Yacht Club, Poole.
In 1961 Tamarind was acquired by John Young Sangster (May 29, 1896 – March 26, 1977) “Jack Sangster” was an industrialist who became an important figure in the history of the British motorcycle industry. He owned Triumph Motorcycles from 1935 to 1951 and was Chairman of BSA from 1956 to 1961. He was a member of both the Royal Motor Yacht Club, Poole and the Royal Thames Yacht Club.
From 1969 to 1970 Tamarind was owned by International Marine & Forwarding Co Ltd.
From 1971 to 2007 Tamarind was owned by Roberto Marinho (1904-2003). Roberto Marinho was owner and publisher of the “O Globo” newspaper and television company in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He was a member of the Rio de Janeiro Yacht Club.